Regulatory engagement is essential for fintech companies and innovative banks as the industry continues to struggle with regulatory uncertainty both in Washington, D.C. and states across the country. It is critically important, now more than ever, to gather industry leaders, academics, consumer groups, and policymakers to further the dialogue and discuss the most pressing regulatory issues in an effort to reach a consensus that balances innovation with consumer protection.
The seventh annual Policy Summit from the American Fintech Council (AFC) will take place in the heart of Washington, D.C. at The Westin City Center on November 14, 2023. The AFC was formed in March 2021 via the merger of the Marketplace Lending Association (MLA) and the Online Lending Policy Institute (OLPI). The AFC is now one of the leading and most active fintech associations focused on the many verticals that make up today’s diverse fintech ecosystem.
Fintech Nexus is the exclusive event and logistics partner of the AFC and we are proud to be working with them to help produce the Fall’s leading fintech policy and regulatory event in Washington, D.C..
“The team at Fintech Nexus are unique in their ability to coordinate and manage every aspect of our summit and also the foremost experts on fintech programming,thought-leadership and industry trends,” said Phil Goldfeder, CEO of the AFC. “Thanks to Peter Renton and his team, this year’s event is going to be the biggest and best we have ever had.”
Big Names Will be Speaking
Like every Policy Summit, this event will attract many of the biggest names in fintech and regulation. The following have already been confirmed:
- Renaud Laplanche, CEO, Upgrade
- Congressman Mike Flood (R- Nebraska)
- Ram Palaniappan, CEO, Earnin
- Jelena McWilliams, Former FDIC Chairman, Managing Partner at Cravath
- Mark Gould, Chief Payment Executive, Federal Reserve Financial Services (FedNow)
- Regulatory Agency representatives from OCC, CFPB, NEC
- Fintech companies like Chime, Prosper, DailyPay, Fairplay, Opportun, Affirm and Upstart
- Innovative banks Like Cross River, LendingClub, GreenDot and SoFi
Stay tuned for many more big names and surprise announcements coming soon.
While the final agenda is still being developed below is the preliminary agenda. As you can see the Policy Summit will cover many of the hottest topics of the day.
9:20 AM – 9:25 AM — Welcome Remarks
9:30 AM – 10:10 AM — Banking on Fintech: BaaS and Embedded Finance
10:15 AM – 10:55 AM — Is State Regulatory Push Impeding Access To Financial Services
11:00 AM – 11:30 AM* — Fintech the Answer to Financial Equity, Access and Inclusion
11:30 AM – 11:45 AM — Morning Networking & Refreshment Break
11:50 AM – 12:30 PM — Not all BNPL Products Are Created Equal
11:50 AM – 12:30 PM — Third-Party Risk Management: Clarity is Critical
12:35 PM – 1:00 PM* — Why FedNow Changes Everything
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM — Networking Lunch
2:15 PM – 2:55 PM — How AI and Alternative Data is Making Lending More Inclusive
3:00 PM – 3:45 PM — Afternoon Networking & Refreshment Break
3:50 PM – 4:05 PM — The Right Way to Think About Earned Wage Access
4:10 PM – 4:40 PM* — Understanding Novel Banking Activity
4:40 PM – 4:45 PM — Closing Remarks
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM — Networking Happy Hour
* Indicates a keynote session
For the first time, this year will also feature several exclusive high-level roundtable discussions. These are interactive and informal 45-60 minute sessions facilitated by an industry expert. Roundtable topics will include:
- Digital Banking Leadership Forum: Setting the Standard
- What Every General Counsel Needs To Know
- Managing a Crisis: Messaging Inside and Out
- The Question of the Day: Should We Buy, Build or Partner
- Is RegTech Innovation The Most Important Innovation
- AI Needs To Be More Than Fair
- State vs Federal Fintech Regulatory Oversight
- Regulation and Compliance in the New World of BaaS
- Handling customer complaints, key dos and don’ts
Last Day for Early Bird Tickets is This Friday, September 15
Tickets are limited for this event and it is expected to sell out. To take advantage of the early bird price you need to register by the end of day this Friday, September 15. AFC Members already receive a deeply discounted ticket but the event is open to the public so if you are interested in fintech regulation, this is a must-attend event.